Dame Marie Bashir Peace Awards 2022
We were thrilled to celebrate with a group of sixty-two people who attended the Presentation on Monday, 26th September 2022, in the Preston Stanley Room, State Parliament House.
Congratulations to all Nominees –to be recognised by your Principal from across your student cohort is a great accolade.
Special congratulations to our Awardees, and thank you for the work you do in your communities across New South Wales and further afield.
RECIPIENTS OF AWARDS:
- Gypsy DONOVAN Year 12 Tomaree High School – Principal Paul Baxter
- Caitlin GRECH Year 12 Northmead Creative and Performing Arts High School
- Gina HARRISON Year 12 Northern Beaches Secondary College Manly Campus
- Bella MERLINO Year 12 Santa Sabina College Strathfield
- Sophie NGUYEN Year 11 Cabramatta High School
- Naikbakht WAHIDI Year 12 Holroyd High School
RECIPIENTS OF HIGHLY COMMENDED CERTIFICATES:
- Aiza KHURRAM Year 12 Reddam House
- Priya LALL Year 12 Cherrybrook Technology High School
- Ameira SOUBRA Year 12 Elderslie High School Narellan
- Alyssa TOWNSEND Year 12 Deniliquin High School
Caitlin Grech – Northmead CAPA High School
Caitlin’s principal writes:
“Caitlin is an outstanding leader and advocate for peace and harmony in our community. She has a well–defined sense of social justice, leads by
example, her integrity, inclusivity and passion are inspiring. She has initiated and led activities which highlight the inequity in society.”
Caitlin is School Captain, and during her campaign, she concentrated on a quote from Mayur Ramgir: “Your actions define your character, your words define your wisdom, but your treatment of others defines the REAL you” and felt this encapsulated her character and underpinned her objective for standing.
Caitlin instantiated and led “Vouch for Lismore”, raising $2,800 for flood relief and is currently leading the food drive for the NSW Flood victims involving the Northmead Community. She has mentored and coached students with disabilities at The Hills School, assisting them in sporting and extracurricular activities and successfully runs the SRC-funded Breakfast Club, operating three times weekly.
Caitlin has developed a Community Project addressing the issues of Domestic Violence in our society and organised a whole school walkathon and colour run to raise money for a student struggling with cancer.
Demonstrated leadership is about service to others. Caitlin has assiduously attended the Uniting Church Nursing Home to give care, attention, and good conversation to the